- Quick Guide to Rack Types
- Top 4 Bike Racks for Subarus Outbacks and Crosstreks
- Things to Consider When Buying a Bike Rack
- Final Thoughts
Let’s get riding this year with the best bike racks for the Subaru Outback and Crosstrek. We’ll point you in the right direction to find the rack suited for you and explain some tips for getting things running smoothly.
Quick Guide to Rack Types
When you’re looking for a bike rack, it’s important to find one that fits all of your needs. At the same time, if you’re new to biking, some of these terms can seem confusing. Here we’ll give you everything you need to know about choosing a bike rack.
Hitch-mounted racks slide into the hitch on the back of your car. To get the best fitting bike rack for your Subaru Outback or Crosstrek, look for racks that fit a 2″ hitch. These racks are secure and leave your trunk free for other storage. However, these racks are heavier and can be slightly difficult to install. But this trade-off also means they can typically handle heavier bikes than other options. They are the most common type of bike rack.
Roof-mounted bike racks are exactly what they seem. Your bike is secured to your roof by a rack that attaches to your car’s roof racks. They’re light and easy to install, but you’ll have to be able to lift your bike to your roof.
Trunk-mounted bike racks attach to your trunk. These are a great option if you don’t plan on using a bike rack too often. They’re easy to store, come pre-assembled, and are usually affordable. On the downside, your trunk will be inaccessible while the rack is mounted. Additionally, their affordability sometimes comes at the sake of quality.
Top 4 Bike Racks for Subarus Outbacks and Crosstreks
Nothing beats driving to a new or favorite place to ride your bike, but if you’re struggling to find a rack, this time can easily pass you by. We did the dirty work for you to find the best bike rack for Subaru Outback and Crosstrek so you can get more time on the road and trail.
Best for Non-Standard Bikes: KAC K2 2” Hitch Mounted 2-Bike Platform Style Carrier
This bike rack is a great choice if you have electric or fat-tire bikes that don’t fit many other standard options. It attaches to a 2″ hitch for a secure fit. This rack features a high weight limit at 60 lbs per bike and can come in either a two or four-bike option. Its smart design allows for easy tilting to access the trunk when the rack is still on the hitch. Once you receive your rack, it should be easy to assemble and get on the road.
However, it might not be the longest-lasting bike rack. Some parts could be easily replaced by buying higher-quality options, like extra tie-downs and clamps.
- Fits non-standard bikes
- Has options for 2-4 bikes
- Easy assembly
- Not the most durable option
- Although it advertises a lifetime warranty, customer service may be hard to contact
Best Roof Rack: Genuine Subaru Thule Bike Carrier
This rack has adjustable clamps to fit either model’s roof bars. You’ll want to be riding solo if you choose this option as it only mounts one bike.
We would also recommend making sure the rack is secure with some extra cords and double-checking that you received all parts if you order this rack. It’s still a high-quality choice that will get you and your bike to your next adventure, along with whatever else you want to take with you with your hitch available.
- Adaptable for different roof racks
- Keeps your hitch available for other uses and the back of your car clear
- Could use some extra support
- May come without all the proper parts
- Only allows for one standard size bike
Best for Affordability: Deluxe Trunk Mounted Bike Rack
This rack attaches to the trunk and can adapt to all different styles of car. It’s easy to load and comes in options to fit two, three, or four bikes. This rack doesn’t require much assembly, but it can be confusing to attach correctly to the back of the trunk.
While this bike rack is affordable, it doesn’t have the best durability. If you don’t follow instructions correctly, you risk scratching your car.
- There are options for multiple bikes
- Easy to load bikes
- Adaptable to almost all styles of car
- Difficult to follow instructions, which can be hazardous if not followed
- The trunk will be inaccessible while the rack is mounted
- Could block the license plate
Best for a Compact Design: IKURAM R 2 Bike Rack
The IKURAM bike rack is a great choice for somebody who needs something compact. This rack allows for smart tilting to easily access the trunk while it’s mounted, and if you’d prefer to keep it on or need an easy way to store it, the arm itself can fold down. It attaches easily to your hitch.
This bike rack is steel, so it’s sure to be a sturdy fit, although this design does make it a bit heavier. The rack also comes with some tight-fitting straps, so supplying your own could make loading the bikes easier.
- Easy to store or compact to keep on the car
- Made from high-quality steel
- Smart-tilting for trunk access
- Quick assembly
- Heavier design
- Could use better straps than the ones supplied
- Only a 2-bike option
Things to Consider When Buying a Bike Rack
Here are some questions you can ask yourself before choosing to ensure you’ve got the right bike rack for your needs:
- How many bikes do I plan to take out regularly?
- Can I lift my bike onto this rack?
- Can I lift this bike rack into the correct position?
- Am I confident I can assemble this rack?
- Does this bike rack fit my style of bike? If not, does it come with additions so it can? Important note: Women’s bikes often need different style bike racks to accommodate the handlebars!
- How often do I plan on using the rack?
- Where will I store my rack?
- Will I need my trunk while I use my rack?
Now that you’ve got some of the basics down, you can find the best bike rack for your Subaru Outback or Crosstrek so you can get on the trail. Happy riding!